Colton, CA profile
Zip code – COLTON, CA - ZIP Code Database information
Information on COLTON, CA, ZIP Code Database information.
The population of Colton is 52,154 according to the 2010 census, up from 47,662 at the 2000 census.
As traffic on each line has soared since the mid-1990s, fueled largely by the vast increase in imports passing through the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach, the primitive crossing has become a serious bottleneck.
Colton is located at 34°3′54″N 117°19′18″W
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 16.0 square miles (41 km2).
The 2010 United States Census reported that Colton had a population of 52,154. The population densitywas 3,251.7 people per square mile (1,255.5/km²). The racial makeup of Colton was 22,613 (43.4%) White, 5,055 (9.7%) African American, 661 (1.3%) Native American, 2,590 (5.0%) Asian, 176 (0.3%) Pacific Islander, 18,413 (35.3%) from other races, and 2,646 (5.1%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 37,039 persons (71.0%).
The Census reported that 51,824 people (99.4% of the population) lived in households, 85 (0.2%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 245 (0.5%) were institutionalized.
There were 14,971 households, out of which 7,826 (52.3%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 7,167 (47.9%) wereopposite-sex married couples living together, 3,233 (21.6%) had a female householder with no husband present, 1,340 (9.0%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 1,268 (8.5%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 106 (0.7%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 2,452 households (16.4%) were made up of individuals and 614 (4.1%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.46. There were 11,740 families (78.4% of all households); the average family size was 3.86.
The population was spread out with 16,671 people (32.0%) under the age of 18, 6,360 people (12.2%) aged 18 to 24, 14,965 people (28.7%) aged 25 to 44, 10,495 people (20.1%) aged 45 to 64, and 3,663 people (7.0%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 28.4 years. For every 100 females there were 96.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.6 males.
There were 16,350 housing units at an average density of 1,019.4 per square mile (393.6/km²), of which 7,766 (51.9%) were owner-occupied, and 7,205 (48.1%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 2.6%; the rental vacancy rate was 9.2%. 28,063 people (53.8% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 23,761 people (45.6%) lived in rental housing units.
1908 Carnegie Library. Now home to the Colton Area Museum, in 2009 the city of Colton closed the entire library system to save money.
- Colton was founded in 1875 and incorporated in 1887 but before its establishment, it was inhabited by the Serrano, Guachama, and San Gorgonio Indians.
- By 1840, Colton was part of two private ranchos, Jurupa and San Bernardino Rancho.
- From southwest area of modern-day Colton was known as “Agua Mansa” (Gentle Waters).
- It had been settled by New Mexico Pioneers in 1842.  What is currently known as Cooley Ranch was known as Indian Knolls for nearly 100 years.
- This is because the Indians living in what is now the San Bernardino Valley found refuge on the knolls of the property during the flood of 1862. 
- The original owner of the property was George Cooley of Kent, England who had moved to Colton in 1853 and who purchased 200 acres at $3.50 an acre along the Santa Ana River the next year.
- Cooley was chairman of the San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors in San Bernardino County.
- By 1873, the property had mushroomed into a 400 acre property.
- Eventually, when property taxes had increased, the property was sold to Vitelli Enterprises of La Habra.
- The city was named after David Douty Colton who had been a Civil War General and was the Vice President of the Southern Pacific Railroad Company.
- Colton was created in its modern form when the Southern Pacific Railway was built heading east from Los Angeles in 1875.
- Virgil Earp lived in Colton at 528 W. “H” Street where he was the town’s first Marshall.
- He resided in Colton from 1883 to 1889. Morgan Earp is buried at Hermosa Cemetery
Books about Colton
- “History of the Colton Fire Department” 1889-2011
by Dennis Bickers (retired Colton Fire)
- “Images of America, Colton”
by Larry Sheffield
According to the City’s 2010 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, the top employers in the city are:
|#||Employer||# of Employees|
|1||Arrowhead Regional Medical Center||2,130|
|2||Ashley Furniture Industries||1,350|
|3||Colton Joint Unified School District||740|
|5||Reche Canyon Rehabilitation & Health Care Center||340|
|6||City of Colton||296|
|10||Archer Daniels Midland||224|
Serves Colton, Grand Terrace, Bloomington, and parts of San Bernardino and Rialto. District calendar, curriculum, and job listings
Centerpoint Church. Centerpoint Church is a community of people seeking to make Jesus the center and point of their lives. Centerpoint Church isn’t really …
San Bernardino County Museum – (909)307-2669 – 2024 Orange Tree Lane, Redlands,California 92374. TDD/TYY: (909) 792-1462. © 2011 San Bernardino …
Colton PD Crime Mapping is now available. Click to open Map. Click image above to go to http:/www.crimemapping.com/map/ca/colton. 2008/2009 Crime …
Chamber Installation Reception: Thursday January 26, 2012, from 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM. Pinnacle Peak Steak House. 2533 S. La Cadena Dr. Colton CA 92324 …
Established in 1887, Colton Public Utilities has grown deep roots within the community… 650 N La Cadena Drive Colton, CA 92324 Phone (909) 370-5555 (Map)
Colton Golf Course designed by Robert Trent Jones Sr., instituted night golf more than 42 years ago and has recently revamped its lighting system to brighten …
Homes for sale in Colton, CA are listed on Realtor.com. Find Colton real estate here.
Fiesta Village Family Fun Park is an Amusement park in Colton California. We have race cars, laser tag, mini golf, batting cages, a water park, amusement rides, …
3520 E Washington St, Colton, CA 92324 | 909-825-3024 | MAP. OverviewDignity DifferenceHistoryPhoto GalleryContact UsDirections · OverviewWhy PlanHow …
Arrowhead Regional Medical Center in Colton CA – Get directions, phone number, research physicians, and compare hospital ratings for Arrowhead Regional …
8 minutes ago – Tickets are now on sale for award-winning comedienne-actress Lily Tomlin, who comes to the California Theatre Jan. 29 with all her `Laugh-I